Discover helpful tips about eco-friendly travel and sustainable travel destinations in Europe.
Author: House of Eden
Sustainability is taking up more and more space in our minds. You save plastic waste in everyday life, consider the environment and pay attention to your ecological footprint. Even when traveling, you can make your vacation more sustainable with simple tricks. But what defines a sustainable journey?
Sustainable travel is characterized in particular by the fact that economic, social and aesthetic needs are taken into account when using all resources. In addition, with sustainable tourism, cultural integrity, essential ecological processes and biodiversity can be preserved. Neither culture nor the environment must be harmed in ecotourism.
Tips and tricks for an environmentally friendly holiday
Sustainable travel is more than just a trend. It is about protecting the environment and preserving natural resources. Instead of traveling by plane, one can choose more eco-friendly options. Sustainable travel also means eco-friendly accommodation, such as certified ones eco hotels, to put. When eating, attention is paid to organic products and avoiding single-use plastic. Eco-friendly travel also respects the local culture and economy. All in all, the ecological footprint is reduced. These sustainable travel tips help to make your vacation more environmentally friendly and make a positive contribution.
1. Check the environmental seal and discover sustainable tour operators
If you want to book a sustainable trip, you can find out about eco-labels in advance. These seals guarantee certain environmental standards:
- TourCert: This seal is particularly distinguished by sustainability and corporate responsibility in Tourism Excellent providers are regularly checked for environmentally friendly offers.
- Viabono: Viabono is a sustainability certificate introduced by the Federal Office. Sustainable accommodation, restaurants and travel service providers are regularly checked here with regard to water, waste, climate and food.
- European Ecolabel: The European Eco-Label provides information about establishments that respect nature, use renewable energies, control water consumption and reduce waste. Accommodations with this eco-label make it possible to have a sustainable holiday.
To avoid lengthy research, you can find out more about ecological hotels on websites. On a sustainable travel portal like bookitgreen you will find all sustainable travel providers and finding the right hotel is made easier.
2. Book sustainable accommodation
Of course, not only your own environmental awareness is relevant for sustainable travel. In order to have an environmentally friendly holiday, you should also deal with the environmental awareness in the respective hotels. A nice alternative to the standard hotel or Airbnb are, for example, also tiny houses.
- Certifications and Labels: Look for hotels that have recognized sustainability certifications such as the Ecolabel or the Viabono certificate. These certifications ensure that the hotel meets certain environmental standards and implements sustainable practices for fair travel.
- Eco-Friendly Practices: For sustainable vacation travel, learn about the hotel's eco-friendly practices. This can include the use of renewable energy, efficient water use, recycling programs, environmentally friendly cleaning products and much more.
- Local and regional integration: Choose fair hotels that support local products and fair services. This may include shopping for locally sourced food, supporting local artisans and offering activities to explore local culture and nature.
- Social responsibility: Look out for sustainable hotels that are committed to social responsibility. This can include, for example, supporting local community projects, treating employees fairly and promoting the local economy.
3. Travel in an environmentally friendly way: You should keep this in mind when packing your suitcase
This is how sustainable travel planning works: Sustainability when traveling starts with packing your suitcase. Here you can, for example, take care to take as little luggage as possible. Because the lighter the luggage, the less fuel is needed. Accordingly, one will travel in a particularly environmentally conscious manner if one only limits oneself to the bare essentials. One brought Bottle and lunch box also make a significant difference and support sustainable travel. This is the easiest way to do without disposable bottles or plastic bags.
Plane, car or train? – With this means of transport you can travel ecologically
In order to travel in an environmentally friendly way, choosing the right means of transport is important. Here is some information about the different modes of transport and their sustainability:
Sustainable Travel Airplane
Flying tends to be the most polluting mode of transport as it causes a high amount of greenhouse gas emissions. However, for long distances, the plane can still be the fastest option. In order to reduce the ecological footprint, one can rely on direct flights, since take-off and landing cause the most emissions. Some airlines also offer the option to purchase carbon offsets to reduce the impact. Nevertheless, one should always look for another alternative.
Sustainable travel car
Driving can be more environmentally friendly if you have a Electric car or choose a hybrid vehicle because these vehicles produce no direct emissions and help improve air quality. Car sharing or carpooling also reduces the number of vehicles on the streets. Camping is an equally sustainable alternative and offers through the Glamping trend now even more comfort.
Sustainable travel train
Traveling by train is considered one of the most sustainable options, especially for short and medium-haul routes. Trains emit less CO2 per passenger-kilometre compared to airplanes and cars. Regional trains or high-speed trains such as the ICE in Germany are also particularly efficient and environmentally friendly.
Sustainable travel cruise
Cruise ships are particularly problematic in terms of their environmental impact. They generate a significant amount of emissions, contribute to ocean pollution and often have high energy intensity. Whenever possible, one should consider alternative travel options, particularly those that use less energy-intensive modes of transport such as trains or ferries.
Green travel in Europe: These travel destinations are ideal
When choosing a sustainable holiday destination, destinations in Europe are particularly suitable. They are usually only a few hours away from your own front door and you don't need to fly.
Sustainable travel Germany: Our home country also offers many opportunities to travel sustainably. Whether a German coast by train or a bike tour through small German towns. Germany can definitely keep up with classic travel destinations such as Italy and France. A beautiful bathing lake or a hiking tour through the Harz mountains, but also a city tour through Munich guarantee an eventful holiday. These are also worth a trip Top gourmet restaurants in Germany.
Sustainable travel Austria: Our neighboring country is particularly characterized by its forests, bodies of water, natural and cultural landscapes and its diverse flora and fauna. In order to maintain these standards, it is therefore necessary to make Austria a sustainable holiday destination for locals, guests and hosts by always consuming locally and consciously and observing environmental protection. The ecologically most valuable regions include, for example, the National Park on Lake Neusiedl-Seewinkel or the Hohe Tauern National Park in Tyrol, Carinthia or Salzburg.
Sustainable travel in Italy impresses many Germans. Mainly because of the long coastlines and culturally interesting cities as well as historical architecture. In order to travel sustainably in Italy, you should also use small owner-managed Accommodation and organic hotels, local restaurants and local markets. Numerous national parks, regional nature reserves and eco-villages are ideal day trips to get to know the local flora and fauna of Italy.
France is known among Germans for its cuisine, landscape and wines. Many French regions have taken initiatives for sustainable tourism. This protects the environment and promotes local handicrafts. Sustainable travel in France is a great way to discover unique coasts and mountains as well as regional products.
What is sustainable travel?
According to the World Tourism Organization UNWTO: travel that fully considers its current and future economic, social and environmental impacts, as well as the needs of visitors, the industry, the environment and host communities.
How can you travel climate-friendly?
By choosing environmentally friendly means of transport such as the train instead of the plane, booking sustainable accommodation and paying attention to the CO2 balance when consuming.
What are the benefits of sustainable tourism?
Sustainable tourism preserves biodiversity in the holiday resorts and strengthens the regional economy. This not only protects nature, but also increases the well-being of local people and tourists.