More than just honey - How actor Morgan Freeman fights bee mortality with his ranch and what each and everyone can do against it
Bees are not just living things that provide humans with honey, but are moreover important links in our ecosystem. As pollinators, they are indispensable for plants. They increase the biodiversity as well as the harvest yield. Despite all these advantages, bees are a threatened species. However, everyone can get involved and do something about bee mortality. Prominent example: actor Morgan Freeman.
Morgan Freeman against bee mortality
The well-known US actor Morgan Freeman is particularly committed and actively campaigning against bee mortality. To him, it is clear that bees are the basis of our lives and responsible for the vegetation and growth of our planet. That's why he turned his 124 hectare ranch in Mississippi into a bees paradise.
Together with his gardeners, Morgan Freemann cultivated clover, lavender, large flowers and more than 140 magnolia trees in order to give the buzzing little animals a new habitat. By now, 26 bee colonies live on his ranch. He himself, as he emphasizes again and again, often feeds his bees without a beekeeper hat and suit.
Bee dying: Why it is happening and what you can do against it
Bee dying has different reasons. On the one hand, pesticides which are often used in agriculture are dangerous for bees. On the other hand, nesting sites are lost due to the cultivation of agricultural land. If you, personally, want to fight bee mortality but do not have the capacity for a bee ranch like Morgan Freeman, you should pay attention to the following suggestions.
Save bees with Urban Gardening
- You should buy organic products which are pesticide free
- In your garden, refrain from pesticides and sow wildflowers or plant a bee hotel instead
- If you have a balcony, you can plant herbs like thyme, mint and basil as they are loved by bees and thus are an excellent food source
- In cities, there are more and more initiatives for Community Gardening which protect bees by growing gardens on roof terraces, for example. There, you can actively participate as a city beekeeper or gardener
- As bees sponsor, you can support a beehive and get honey in return
Today, the honeybee is the third most important livestock after cattle and pigs. Worldwide, bee colonies are used for the high-quality and economical production of fruits and vegetables as one-third of human food comes from plants that are pollinated by bees. Moreover, pollination does not only increase the quality of the corps but also the harvest yield.