The best upcycling ideas to pass the winter months away. Here are the top DIY trends for a creative wardrobe
Author: House of Eden
Winter is just around the corner, the days are getting shorter and the opportunities to be outdoors are decreasing. So it's high time to start doing some home projects for the coming winter months. Upcycling ideas are ideal for this. These can be implemented both in your own premises and in your wardrobe.
Upcycling: Sustainability as a driving factor
target of Upcycling is to save things from being thrown away and instead find new uses for them. Especially with pieces of furniture or Packaging materials there are now numerous DIY videos and instructions with upcycling ideas.
For example, vases and candlelights are popular to make out of old tin cans, glass bottles or jam jars. Pallet furniture is also a popular trend. But also in the The fashion world is teeming with ideas for upcyclingthat are easy to implement thanks to patterns and step-by-step instructions.
The 5 best upcycling ideas
Trend 1: colorful with batik
Who does not know it? Spilled during cooking or the Coffee poured over the white t-shirt? Often stains on white shirts can no longer be removed. Still, that's not a reason for the bin. With batik colors, white garments can be transformed into great unique items. And that is how it works:
- Fill a bucket with lukewarm water. Mix the tie-dye in it according to the instructions on the package.
- Take the garment. Tie it up with household thread, hair ties, or string. This is how you get the typical batik pattern after dyeing.
- Put it in the color mix. Wait a few hours and stir again and again if necessary.
- Wash the garment with cold water after the specified time. Then put it in the washing machine at 30 or 40 degrees. Here are tips on how to use your Wash laundry environmentally friendly.
- Let dry and get dressed!
Trend 2: dye canvas shoes
Your favorite shoes just can't be cleaned properly even after being washed several times? Then they don't necessarily have to go into the garbage can. Especially shoes made from natural materials like Cotton Fabrics and linen are easy to dye or paint with fabric paints. As always, there are no limits to the ideas here. From the galaxy world to the flower meadow or simple colorful patterns, you can let off steam creatively here. What you need for this upcycling idea:
- (Waterproof) fabric paints or pencils
- if necessary brush
- Newsprint for underlay
- if necessary hairspray to fix
It is best to wash the shoes again before starting. Then you can decorate the shoes as you like and fix the result with hairspray.
Trend 3: Jeans become a backpack
Are old jeans obsolete? Holes in the knees or cracks? The advantage: denim is robust and very hard-wearing. With a sewing machine, some lining and thread, you can easily create a cool handbag or a practical one minimalist backpack. And so it goes:
- Cut off both pant legs for the backpack.
- Depending on the size you want, separate the middle seam and sew the two legs together. Or you can only use one of the legs.
- Sew the pants back on at the cut end.
- Use leather straps (or old belts, for example) as shoulder straps and sew them to the back.
- You can also attach a leather strap to close it. You roll up the rucksack in the trendy rolltop style. Finished!
Trend 4: patchwork
Do you have various colorful, patterned pieces that you would like to combine? Then just make a patchwork of it. If you have a lot of leftover fabric, you can possibly sew a whole patchwork blanket out of it. It is only important that the fabrics are made of a solid material. In addition, you should attach a solid strip of fabric as a base underneath to provide more stability. You can still feed them with cotton wool if you like. So you have created a great blanket.
Alternatively, with a little more manual skill, you can sew dresses, blouses, skirts or entire jackets from some scraps of fabric. For this, however, you should look for a suitable pattern in advance. So you can measure and cut everything exactly. A perfect one Vintage look.
Trend 5: With details for a cool one-off
It doesn't always have to be an elaborate redesign. Sometimes a few simple steps and subtle details are enough to give your favorite trousers a new shine. Straight Jeans are ideal for changing the entire look with little effort. There are the following options:
- Painting trouser pockets: Get creative with fabric paints and paint your trouser pockets with colorful pictures, blobs or patterns.
- Renew belt loops: Do you still have some nice scraps of fabric? Detach the existing belt loops. With the fabric you can shape new ones and sew them on accordingly.
- Sew on sequins: Do you like it striking? Then use sequins or rhinestones to highlight your trouser legs or pockets.
- Short process: If you want a bigger change, simply cut off the trouser legs and wear the jeans as short shorts in the coming season.
- Oversize: Another (cheap) option are oversize parts. For example, shirts, jackets or sweaters in oversize from your partner are suitable. Women can quickly conjure up a dress with a belt tied around their waist. With cleverly inserted seams, this can also be worn without a belt.
Tip: You can of course use the same upcycling ideas for other items of clothing such as jackets, shirts or blouses. Your favorite denim jacket needs a new look? Then grab gemstones, pearls or sequins and tape the back according to your wishes.
Conclusion: These are the advantages of fashion upcycling
Fashion upcycling is not just a great opportunity for the cold months to come. Rather, it is a trend that works entirely in line with sustainability. This not only saves resources. In addition, a rethinking of the otherwise fast-paced fashion world is caused. Further advantages of fashion upcycling:
- Save costs for a new wardrobe
- With just a few simple steps you can conjure up unique pieces that you have designed yourself
- Keep used clothing in the garbage can
- Do something good for the environment
- Live out creatively
- A nice activity for cold days
But there are even more possibilities and ideas for upcycling in everyday life. You can use your creativity, for example, when building sustainable sustainable furniture or the production of Cosmetics and living out cleaning agents. The more you rethink your way of life, step by step, the more sustainable your way of life becomes.